Sociologist, CNRS Research Fellow, HDR
Migration, labour and presence of foreigners in Europe, transnationalism, interethnic relations.
Mediterranean area; Europe
Researches in progress
– Coordination with Camille Schmoll and Thomas Lacroix of an interdisciplinary project supported by the Convergences Migrations Institute : Critical Approaches in Migration Studies. The objective of this reflection is to identify and characterize the return, over the last ten years or so, of so-called critical approaches within international migration studies by questioning the link between epistemological inflections and changes in the socio-political context.
– Migration Observatory in the Alpes Maritimes Coordination, with Pınar Selek, of a collective and interdisciplinary project of researchers from the University of the Côte d’Azur and elsewhere, who have in common to work on migration issues in the border territory of the Alpes-Maritimes. Within this framework, S.Potot is conducting research on social mobilization linked to the migration issue on the French-Italian border.
– The Experience of “Romanian Roma” in France. Ethnicity under challenge of European transnationalism. Surveys among migrants of Romanian nationality, categorized as Roma, living in precarious housing. In particular, the forms of otherness associated with them in the territory of origin as well as in the areas of migration, the relationship with the European space, the paths of individuals and groups as well as the projects carried by these mobilities are questioned.
Previous projects, as leader
– Migration, globalization and co-development in Tunisia 2010-2013: IRD-University of Sousse partnership, co-directed with Hassan Boubakri, professor of geography. This research, correlated to an expatriation in Tunisia, addressed Tunisian labour migration and its consequences on the regions of origin by placing them in the context of globalization and the revolution of 2011.
– Foreigners Labour in Western Agriculture: European Construction and Changing Migration Patterns 2006-2009: Collective research funded by the ANR, on the work of foreigners in agriculture and seasonal migration.
– New Migrations Dynamics : Regular and Irregular Work on the European Labour Market European Science Fondation ECRP Program 2006-2008.
See all Swanie Potot publications (in English and French)